Thursday, April 1, 2010

Chocolate for Maggie?

I just called my Vet’s office to inquire about chocolate and dogs.  I was of the firm belief that chocolate was poisonous to dogs is a myth.  The receptionist answered the phone.

“Yes ma’am,” I said. “Can I speak to Dr. Thomas?”

“Is it an emergency?” she asked. “He’s doing a procedure right now.”

“No ma’am,” I replied. “I was just worried about chocolate and my dog. I’ve heard it is poisonous and will kill my Maggie.”

“Honey,” she said. “I am not the doctor, but I wouldn’t feed Maggie chocolate. It will make her overweight.  Get some treats at the grocery store. I don’t think it’s poisonous, though.”

I laughed good heartedly at the way the receptionist said it.  She had such a heavy southern drawl and it sounded like Thelma down at the hairdresser’s.  

“Thank you ma’am,” I said and hung up the phone.

You know I am feeling exceptionally socially gregarious when I am making gratuitous phone calls!  I was just curious though and wanted to find out from the “source”.

Subsequent Edit…

Dr. Thomas just called me back.  I had left my number with the receptionist.  We are some of his best customers so I was getting “special care” as he put it.

“Don’t feed Maggie chocolate,” Dr. Thomas told me. “Chocolate has high levels of Xanthenes (sp?) and she can’t metabolize it and it will upset her stomach.  It won’t kill her though unless she eats extremely high levels of it which is almost unheard of.  She will just be uncomfortable and have a bad tummy ache.”

“Thank you, Dr. Thomas,” I said and hung up the phone.

So there you have it.  The straight dope on chocolate and dogs.  Maggie will continue to get her beef jerky it seems.  I hate the grocery store dog treats with all the fillers and cheap “mystery” ingredients. 

9 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

I think she is wrong. I've always heard that chocolate is poisonous to both dogs and cats. I wouldn't take a chance on it. Mary

glittergirl said...

things that are toxic for dogs include chocolate, grapes & raisins, and anything with NutraSweet.

have you ever given maggie a "kong"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kong_%28dog_toy%29

they are a great way to feed your dog & give them something to do. you can stuff it with safe human foods like peanut butter, carrots, yogurt, oatmeal, etc...

Hap Joy Free said...

the chat gadget stinks...makes my system slow and cant stand the chimes...pls rethink it having on your blog. thanks!

Joy Heather said...

Are you able to get 'Good Boy' chocolate drops over there ?..they are especially for dogs and do look like the real thing..but are harmless and contain vitamins..my son gives them to his dog..they also taste similar to the real thing !!..Jimmy ate a couple once just to see !!..i am sure you would be able to get some sort of Dog chocolate if not this Type..it is a nice safe treat for Maggie then..and they can be a good training aid.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

Dixie and Rascal LOVE carrots and green beans! Raw or cooked - as long as we're eating them, they'll eat them!

Oh - Dixie loves watermelon, too. Rascal would rather have honeydew melon.

And Dixie will sit up and beg forever to get to your iced tea or Coke! Rascal prefers coffee with sugar and cream.

The vet perfers that they both stick to dog food and water! They are both overweight.

I can take it when they try to stare me down, but my husband says that when they give him the old "vulture eye" he just HAS to share whatever he has! And if he's eating it, they'll eat it!

Anyone know how to re-train my 64 year old husband?

Grannie

Lena said...

I am glad the vet called you back with more information!

On another note:
I had a dream about you last night. You were working at a gas station and I was in line getting gas for my car, right behind another blogger. I don't know who was in the car in front of me, but you were filling up the cars with gas. When it was my turn, I was very happy to meet you.

Today I was thinking about the dream. I guess all of us readers sort of line up to get our "tanks filled" by your blog everyday with your inspiration and honesty.

So thank you for writing your blog, even during the times when it gets hard for you to do so.

Andrew said...

Lena,

Thank you so much! I would "full up your tank" anytime! I appreciate the kind words more than you could ever know.

justLacey said...

I buy the gigantic box of Milkbones at Sam's club for Reese and Panda. They get one each every morning right after breakfast and I started it as a ploy to get them to come in when I called them in the dark mornings. The first day I coaxed them in and gave them each one. The next day I almost knocked them over when I came out the back door to call them. I have never had a problem since.

Beth said...

You know that dog treats are easy to make yourself, and much healthier than what you buy! You can start a new home business -- Maggie's Munchies! Here is a site or two:
http://www.dogtreatkitchen.com/
and
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dog-Treats-I/Detail.aspx

She'd love them! And you'd be the hit of any dog in your neighborhood!
Beth