I just called my Vet’s office to inquire about chocolate and dogs. I was of the firm belief that chocolate was poisonous to dogs is a myth. The receptionist answered the phone.
“Yes ma’am,” I said. “Can I speak to Dr. Thomas?”
“Is it an emergency?” she asked. “He’s doing a procedure right now.”
“No ma’am,” I replied. “I was just worried about chocolate and my dog. I’ve heard it is poisonous and will kill my Maggie.”
“Honey,” she said. “I am not the doctor, but I wouldn’t feed Maggie chocolate. It will make her overweight. Get some treats at the grocery store. I don’t think it’s poisonous, though.”
I laughed good heartedly at the way the receptionist said it. She had such a heavy southern drawl and it sounded like Thelma down at the hairdresser’s.
“Thank you ma’am,” I said and hung up the phone.
You know I am feeling exceptionally socially gregarious when I am making gratuitous phone calls! I was just curious though and wanted to find out from the “source”.
Dr. Thomas just called me back. I had left my number with the receptionist. We are some of his best customers so I was getting “special care” as he put it.
“Don’t feed Maggie chocolate,” Dr. Thomas told me. “Chocolate has high levels of Xanthenes (sp?) and she can’t metabolize it and it will upset her stomach. It won’t kill her though unless she eats extremely high levels of it which is almost unheard of. She will just be uncomfortable and have a bad tummy ache.”
“Thank you, Dr. Thomas,” I said and hung up the phone.
So there you have it. The straight dope on chocolate and dogs. Maggie will continue to get her beef jerky it seems. I hate the grocery store dog treats with all the fillers and cheap “mystery” ingredients.